I have set up this blog to keep you updated on my campaign.
But also, if you know me, and would like to 'endorse' me, I would be very grateful. Perhaps your photo and a short blog on how you know me or are aware of any of my achievements, however small they may seem, it would be very much appreciated. Please click here to visit or return to my website. Thanks!

Thursday 25 March 2010

Downbeat and dirty

I was at the Peabody Estate last night to attend my first Public Ward meeting, this time by the Metropolitan Police, since I announced my candidacy last week.

It was a talk by the Dogs Control Department of the Parks Police and, in particular, the issue of dogs 'fouling' pavements.

You might as well start at the bottom, I suppose.

The bad news is that the level of fouling is particularly high 'Between the Commons' as, on occasions, dogs cannot contain themselves until they reach the right patch.

The good news is that, whereas fouling on the road rather than the pavement is currently acceptable, new by-laws are being developed to make all owners clear up all fouling - wherever the foul has been emitted.

The Dangerous Dogs Act is under review, possibly to include making dog-on-dog incidents a criminal offence where, up to now, only dog-on-human attacks are criminal.

The Police gave an update on local crime levels. Apparently, the 'alert buttons' in the Northcote Road pilot scheme is proving successful.

I was very impressed with the Police, both in the content of their report but also they way they responded to the public. I was equally impressed by the Parks Police team. We are lucky to have all of them.

I asked about foxes, but apparently foxes on roads are a Highway Police issue and foxes in parks are a Council concern. They do not come under Parks Police jurisdiction. I think I got this right. It all seemed rather confusing. There may be a more 'joined-up' solution. Perhaps I can help in this area if selected.

Finally, one lady had an 11-year-old daughter still traumatised after a dog attack three years ago. Although the Parks Police visit schools, they cannot provide one-to-one help. The Metropolitan Police offered to help. I do hope they can.

Perhaps, with qualified psychological input and guidance, we can launch a scheme whereby children who have been injured and suffered from dog attacks can connect with Battersea Dogs Home somehow. It might help them overcome their fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment